LA 3.4 Taking Action
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Candidates understand issues of assessment and accommodation.
Assessment: 25 pts.
TA: 20 Minutes
Teachers can infuse academic actions into their instruction to assist ELs in learning and using academic tasks to increase student understanding.
Students are investigating teaching and assessing practices. They now read a chart about academic language actions they can take to incorporate into their teaching.
- Discuss in your group some of the struggles you have in assessing the academic content you teach in your classroom.
- Using the handout entitled: Academic Language Action Chart, read through the handout with the partner you are pairing with on your project and identify strategies either of you might use to support your students.
- Explore how you could incorporate one or two of the strategies in your instruction.
- Write how you will incorporate each strategy into your instruction on individual sticky notes.
- Post your notes on the designated wall.
- Review the notes posted. Jot your initials on the strategies of fellow students that you could try in your teaching.
- As a whole class, discuss ideas you gained from considering how you can better assess academic content in your teaching
- You could try out one of these strategies with your students this week and reflect on it for HW 3.1.
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality