In this chapter you will write a comparison essay. To write a comparison essay, think about two things that you can compare. What makes them similar? What makes them different?
A comparison essay is written to show the reader how two topics are similar or different. This essay should describe specific qualities that can be compared between the two topics.
Exercise: Analyze an Essay
Read one of the two following Comparison Example Essays on the following pages to complete this exercise.
- Label the introduction paragraph, the body paragraphs, and the conclusion paragraph.
- Circle the hook.
- What is the general topic of the essay?
- Underline the thesis.
- Underline each of the topic sentences.
- Do each of the topic sentences support the thesis?
- Does the conclusion paragraph start by restating the thesis?