1 Exercise: Check your essay.
Remember to complete a self-check questions below for your essay before you ask someone for feedback. Good luck with your revisions!
- Does the introduction provide the general information a reader needs in order to understand the topic?
- Does the introduction end with an effective thesis? Does it match the style of the essay?
- Do each of the body paragraphs begin with an effective topic sentence?
- Are the body paragraphs sequenced in a logical order?
- Look at each body paragraph. Do the supporting sentences support the topic sentence?
- Look at each body paragraph. Are the supporting sentences sequenced in a logical order?
- Look at each body paragraph. Is there enough development? Are there more details or examples that would help the reader?
- Look at each body paragraph. Does the concluding sentence close the paragraph logically?
- Does the conclusion paragraph start by restating the thesis?
- Does the conclusion paragraph have a suggestion, prediction, or opinion at the end?
2 Exercise: Revise for unity.
Revise the body paragraph for unity. Write your changes on a piece of paper.
Corn and wheat are the most important base ingredient in Mexican and American food, respectively, which distinguishes these two types of food. Wheat is used in many popular American dishes. For example, many kinds of sandwiches are popular (e.g., subs, hamburgers, croissant breakfast sandwiches, etc.) and pastas are made from wheat flour. The best example is the hamburger; however, it has other ingredients like tomatoes, lettuce, mayonnaise. These vegetables are an essential part of the American diet. On the other hand, corn is the most important ingredients in Mexican food. Corn is used to make traditional food like tamales, sopes, and tortillas. American and Mexican food are different due to the principal ingredients used in each.
CC BY-NC: This work is released under a CC BY-NC license, which means that you are free to do with it as you please as long as you (1) properly attribute it and (2) do not use it for commercial gain.