Exercise: Check your essay.
Remember to complete a self-check questions below for your essay before you ask someone for feedback. Good luck with your revisions!
- Does the introduction provide the general information a reader needs in order to understand the topic?
- Does the introduction end with an effective thesis? Does it match the style of the essay?
- Do each of the body paragraphs begin with an effective topic sentence?
- Are the body paragraphs sequenced in a logical order?
- Look at each body paragraph. Do the supporting sentences support the topic sentence?
- Look at each body paragraph. Are the supporting sentences sequenced in a logical order?
- Look at each body paragraph. Is there enough development? Are there more details or examples that would help the reader?
- Look at each body paragraph. Does the concluding sentence close the paragraph logically?
- Does the conclusion paragraph start by restating the thesis?
- Does the conclusion paragraph have a suggestion, prediction, or opinion at the end?
Exercise: Revise this paragraph.
On a piece of paper, revise this example paragraph.
Limiting time on social media can improve relationships and academic performance. Social media can be a great way to contact people who live far away, but it can also push away people who are physically present with us. Limiting time on social media can help us make time for the people in our lives. Limiting time on social media gives us more time for our studies. People can limit their time on social media by getting an app that will control the time for you. They can also make their own rules like not using social media between specific hours when they should be working. Families can set rules like not allowing phones at the table during meals. We can solve the problems of having poor relationships and poor grades by limiting time on social media.