HW 1.3: Building Vocabulary About Culture
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Communicate a personal acceptance of and acknowledge the dynamics of culture in the lives of all students.
Demonstrate how culture affects language development and academic achievement.
Assessment: 50 pts.
Due: Session 2
Teachers can use academic vocabulary around issues of cultures in class discussions and in their professional lives.
Students have shared beliefs about culture, learned about Inclusive Pedagogy and are now prepared to use readings to create personal definitions of academic terms about culture.
- Read these articles about culture: “What teachers should understand about culture” and “Eating fried bananas”.
- You will notice some terms have been bolded. As you read, make notes or underline phrases that provide additional ideas about the bolded terms.
- After you finish the readings, use the Interactive Glossary chart and make your own definitions for the words using the Interactive Glossary form provided. Click the link and download the form.
- Copying the definitions from the article will not be as helpful as paraphrasing or summarizing using your own ideas about the words.
- Bring a copy of your interactive glossary to class and be prepared to discuss.