HW 3.4: Discovering Assets in My Community
Identifying Assests in the Neighborhood of My School
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Understand and apply knowledge of how cultural identities impact language learning and school success by creating an environment that is inclusive of all students.
Assessment: 50 pts.
Due: Session 4
Teachers, when they venture out into the school community, learn about resources and assets within the community, can appreciate and utilize them in teaching EL students.
Students have read about people living in poverty. They now will move into their school community to discover the assets and resources that are there, particularly those they don’t already know about.
- Using the Asset Map Outline (linked here), construct an Asset Map of your school community. The details of the assignment can be recoverd by clicking on this link. ,
- Now imagine the road is a main road in the community where you teach. Build your map as you consider the assets you already know about, and consider some key individuals, formal institutions, and informal organizations that are important local assets.
- Complete the asset map by driving or walking your school neighborhood and community to identify assets like churches, services, businesses, and individuals (you may be unaware of--you might also ask other teachers and other school personnel--like secretaries, janitors, lunch ladies, crosswalk patrol, etc.), then sketch different items found on the map.
- Write a description about each item on your map and any significant/non-significant events that may have taken place. (there is an example of this assignment on the following pages).
- If you want more guidance,click and download the Asset Map Example to and a description of it in Asset Map Explanation .
- Consider this short article that reports the impact on one school when teachers really reviewed the neighborhood their school was in. The article is located here: I convinced my teacher article.
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality