HW 6.4: Collecting Evidence for My Portfolio
Gathering Hard Evidence of My Learning
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Demonstrate how culture affects language development and academic achievement.
Assessment: 50 pts.
Due: Session 7
Teachers can utilize some of the ideas presented in this TED talk to apply them in their work with English language learners they teach.
Students are learning about teaching English language learners. They have studied the Standards for Effective Pedagogy and Critical Learning Domains. They will watch a TED talk about polyglots—people who speak many languages to apply it to their instruction for ELs.
- For your final project you are to construct a portfolio of your learning. The directions and rubric are in HW 1.5.
- You will represent your learning as statements of Aha's represented by an artifact and an explanation.
- You will provide one AHA for each characteristic of Inclusive Pedagogy:
- Who is this child (Collaboration for Common Understanding and United Advocacy)?
- Reflection for Change Question: How can I engage with people in different disciplines and classrooms within my educational setting to support students’ development as knowers and learners?
- What are this child's needs and strengths (Critical Learning Domains)?
- Reflection for Change Question: How can my teaching embody my understanding of diverse learners’ commonalities and uniqueness?
- What programs and practices are available to support this child in the school setting (Essential Policy)?
- Reflection for Change Question: What are my moral obligations to all students?
- How can I collaborate to support this child's learning (Guiding Principles)?
- Reflection for Change Question: How can I apply my guiding principles in my teaching?
- How can I position this child for success in my classroom (Classroom Strategies)?
- Reflection for Change Question: What specific changes will I make in my own teaching to accommodate all students?
You will have time to work on this in Session 7 and this will be your major homework for Session 7. The project is due in Session 8.
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality