LA 2.4: Using Vocabulary to Discuss Stereotypes and Culture
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Interpret the historical context of diversity and discrimination and evaluate how it impacts current practices.
Assessment: 25 pts.
TA: 60 Minutes
Teachers can use new vocabulary in meaningful and relevant ways to discuss the impact and influence of stereotypes, culture, and student lives on their learning.
Teachers have read the articles on culture and created their interactive glossaries. They have also participated in a learning activity on Thin Slicing. They are now prepared to participate in a group discussion on “The Dangers of Thin-Slicing" using new vocabulary.
- Form table groups of 4-5 participants
- Tables will now be given 5-7 minutes to discuss what they learned about Thin Slicing from the previous learning activity (2.3) using the vocabulary terms from the interactive glossary (HW 1.3).
- A designated person at each table will keep a record of the vocabulary terms used on the score card. Each word can be scored a maximum of three times. Words must be used correctly in a sentence.
- The facilitator will lead a whole class discussion asking for thoughts/ideas from the tables.
- The score card will be kept for future discussion during this session.