LA 6.3: Standards for Effective Pedagogy
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Demonstrate how culture affects language development and academic achievement.
Assessment: 25 pts.
TA: 45 Minutes
When teachers understand and apply the Standards for Effective Pedagogy, they are meeting the needs of second language learners so learning is accessible to them.
Students have participated in a number of learning activities regarding English learners. They are now positioned to revisit some of those principles to learn and apply the new information about Standards for Effective Pedagogy.
- The facilitator will put you in 5 small groups representing each of the 5 Standards of Effective Pedagogy.
- In your small group turn to Appendix, Standards for Effective Pedagogy in the back of the Instructional Guide. The big question is: How Do the Standards for Effective Pedagogy address the Critical Learning Domains.
- Read the standard in the article that your group is assigned.
- Pay particular attention to the definitions of standards toward the end of the article.
- Consider the ways in which these standards can be leveraged to attend to the cognitive, linguistic, and social/affective learning domains of students. (Click and download the How Do the Standards for Effective Pedagogy worksheet).
- Create a 5-minute presentation to teach the class and help them fill in their worksheet. You will have 20 minutes to read and create the presentation. The rest of the time will be devoted to the 5-minute presentation from each group.