Homework 4.5 Strategies for Making Text Comprehensible
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Demonstrate knowledge and use of the Utah English Language Proficiency Standards in selection of programs,practices and strategies related to planning, implementing, and managing ESL and content instruction, including classroom, organization,teaching strategies for development and integrating language skills, and choosing and adapting classroom resources
|Preservice teachers who understand EL students' difficulty with academic vocabulary and comprehending texts can make text modifications and teach vocabulary in ways that assist student learning.||
Students have been introduced to vocabulary issues and how to support ELs in learning content and language together. They are prepared to learn how to modify texts to support EL's learning of content and engaging in learning activities.
1. Read the article on Text Modifications linked here.
2. Make a list of the five kinds of Text Modifications and identify what they require of the teacher and how they will help students gain access to texts.
3. Be prepared to answer these questions, as we discuss text modification in class next time.
4. Watch the a video about texts (20 minutes). Click on this link to get to this video. Scroll down and click on 8.1: Role and Variety of Text. As you watch the video, add notes to your WIP document.
- What is a text modification?
- What is the purpose of a text modification and what might count as one?
- When would you use them?
- What text modifications have we used in class or what examples have you seen others use?
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality