Demonstrate knowledge and use of the Utah English Language Proficiency Standards in selection of programs,practices and strategies related to planning, implementing, and managing ESL and content instruction, including classroom, organization,teaching strategies for development and integrating language skills, and choosing and adapting classroom resources
Assessment: 50 pts.
Preservice teachers can integrate informal, ongoing assessment strategies into their teaching and create rubrics that both they and their students can use to evaluate student work.
Students have learned to build assessment into the curriculum they are making. They are prepared to review knowlede of making rubrics to create stronger rubrics for their learning activities.
1. One of the premises of teaching ELs is that each one has an individual trajectory of learning. They have arrived in your classroom from different educational backgrounds.
2. You, as a teacher, need to monitor their growth in language and literacy development. The best way to do this is to keep a record of their learning and use daily assignment results to chart their growth and learning.
3. As you learned in the formative assessment part of your Assessment Course, any assignment if you use a rubric to evaluate and if you note their language and literacy development can be treated as an assessment of their learning.
4. In your MSDLA project you are required to have at least one rubric (you can of course include more). Your teachers in other courses have taught you or will teach you to construct rubrics. As a review or an introduction, please watch and take notes in your WIP on this very short instruction for creating rubrics. The link to this video is here.
5. You could also watch a video on developing tools for alternative assessments linked here. You will need to scroll down to session six, click on the video and then scroll up to watch it.
6. Submit a statement to Learning Suite of why rubrics are important for student assessment and how you plan to incporprate it in your MSDLA. If you have any questions about the assignment, please submit those also.