Demonstrate Knowledge and use of the Utah English Language Proficiency Standards in selection of programs,practices and strategies related to planning, implementing, and managing ESL and content instruction, including classroom, organization,teaching strategies for development and integrating language skills, and choosing and adapting classroom resources.
Assessment: 100 pts.
TA: Full Session
Articulating their knowledge supports students in developing understandings they will need in successfully creating MSDLAs and implement the principles that guide best practices in regular, day-to-day teaching with ELs.
Students have been introduced to TELL Tools in prerequisite courses. They will now review their knowledge of three tools used in the current course by participating in MSDLAs focused on developing and deepening their knowledge of these tools.
For this class there are several major assignments.
- The first assignment will use the Making Content Comprehensible. The first assignment each week for the next five weeks will be chapters from this book. You will complete and submit the reading guide. This week you learn about Sheltered Instruction & Lesson Preparation.
- The second assignment for the next five week is watching a media case, filling in an observation chart based on the case. (Buy access at this link to creative works) These are listed each week as the second homework assignment. This week that is Homework 1.2.
- Based on the second assignment, each of you will work in a group and present to the class one of the five standards. We need to talk about this today since one group will present next week. From session 2 through 6, we will begin each session with one of these presentations. The guidelines for this presentation are found in homework 1.5. The assignment for this presentation is linked here.
- Review the assignment with the class found in this book under Homework 1.3.
- The contextualization group will need to stay for a minute to discuss the presentation for next week.
- The third homework asks that you read about MSDLAs (or Activity Centers) The pamphlet and the reading guide are linked in Homework 1.3.
- The fourth homework asks you to look at developmental benchmarks that are relevant to the ages of students you are preparing MSDLAs for this semester. You will probably want to take notes for your Works in Progress Document (WIP) which is linked with the other MSDLA assignment documents.
- The sixth homework outlines and explains the MSDLA assignment which is the next assignment for this course.
Each class member now needs to post one idea about second language acquisition, supporting ELs in being literate, or attending to culturally and linguistically diverse students. (The teacher will scan the chat and share two or three ideas).
For this class session, you will work with your groups in breakout rooms to complete each of the 5 centers. First, each individual person needs to download the Tell Tools Worksheet using this link. (TELL TOOLs Discovery Sheets.docx linked here.)
Along with your individual worksheet, some of the centers will have additional group worksheets, discussions, and tasks that you will complete as directed, as a whole group. REMEMBER, your group only has to fill out and submit ONE copy of the group worksheet with everyones' names on it.
In your group, start with center 1 and work your way through to center 5. The directions will walk you completely through what you need to do and what you need to turn in. If you have any questions, the instructor will be hopping around the breakout rooms.
Directions: TELL TOOLS- CENTER 1.docx Download
Directions: TELL TOOLS- CENTER 2.docx Download
Additional Materials: Literacy Market Place .pdf Download
Directions: TELL TOOLS- CENTER 3.docx Download
Makoto Critical Incident (1).pdf Download
Makoto Writing Sample (1).docx Download
WIDAFeatures_ofAcademic_Language-1 copy (1).pdf Download
WIDA_Performance Definitions_SpeakingWriting copy (1).pdf Download
Directions: TELL TOOLS CENTER 4.docx Download
Additional Materials: RSQC2 (1).docx Download Minute Paper (1).docx Download
Directions: TELL TOOLS CENTER 5.docx Download
SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS FOR PARTICIPATION CREDIT:
Once you are finished with center 5, make sure your group has submitted the report form for each center. You will keep the Individual TELL Discovery Sheets to use when you build your final MSDLA.
Each group should bring something they learned or a question they still have to the session debrief.
The Contextualization group will meet with the instructor after class today for about 10 minutes