Session 6: Practicing Developing MSDLAs
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Demonstrate knowledge and use of the Utah English Language Proficiency Standards in selection of programs,practices and strategies related to planning, implementing, and managing ESL and content instruction, including classroom, organization,teaching strategies for development and integrating language skills, and choosing and adapting classroom resources
Assessment: 100 pts
TA: Class Session
Preservice teachers can respond positively to critique using it to strengthen their curriculum making.
Students have been introduced to the content needed to design curriculum for ELs that will develop their academic language and content knowledge. They have created MSDLAs to demonstrate their knowledge they are ready to receive feedback.
1. (10 minutes) Share something you learned from your homework
2. (30-40 minuts) SEP group presentation. The group will be presenting on Instructional Conversation (IC).
3.(20 minutes) We will review the requirements for the first 3 segments of the MSDLA rubric and answer any questions. The teacher you are designing your MSDLAs for will review expectations and answer questions
4. (90 minutes) BREAKOUT ROOMS:
- The teacher will move from breakout room to break out room. S/He will review your work and provide suggestions and guidance.
- You should have individually engaged in a self-assessment of your MSDLA share results.
- Go to the bottom of your WIP and begin explaining how each center attends to Language and Literacy Development (LLD) and how each center meets one or more of the other Standards for Effective Pedagogy (SEP): CTX, CA, JPA, or IC.
- Keep working on your MSDLA assignment.
- Share an insight about developing MSDLAs or adjusting your activities that you learned from the teacher's feedback.
- Homework Review:
- Homework 6.1 Review SIOP and prepare for Group Quiz
- Homework 6.2 Work on MSDLA