Session 7: Reviewing Making Text Comprehensible
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Demonstrate knowledge and use of the Utah English Language Proficiency Standards in selection of programs,practices and strategies related to planning, implementing, and managing ESL and content instruction, including classroom, organization,teaching strategies for development and integrating language skills, and choosing and adapting classroom resources
Assessment: 100 pts.
TA: Class Session
Preservice teachers can deepen and demonstrate their knowledge of SIOP.
Students have studied the characteristics of sheltered instruction particularly steps outlined by SIOP for developing sheltered instruction. They are ready to deepen and demonstrate their knowledge.
1. (10 minutes) Share any new understandings you've gained from any of your SIOP readings
2. (40 minutes) Guest Lecturer: Linda Turner
3. (20 minutes) Group Quiz Question: You have a colleague who did not complete the ESL Endorsement but has several ELs in her classroom. She asks for advice on teaching ELs in her regular classroom.
- What are the SIOP ideas you will share?
4. (90 minutes) BREAKOUT GROUPS: Finalize your MSDLA for critique next time from 2 teachers and 2 groups of children.
5. (10 minutes) Review plan for next week and answer questions.
6. Finalize MSDLA: Prepare for Review of your final document by the Teacher, other teachers, and children.
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality