Learning Pathway: Current Events
Building Democracy For All is designed so that teachers and students can follow different learning pathways as they explore the material in the book. Rather than proceeding sequentially through the standards, the learning pathways invite a thematic approach. Other learning pathways include: Student Rights, Influential Women, Black Lives Matter, and Election 2020.
Latest Addition to the eBook
The coronavirus pandemic has caused massive unemployment throughout the country. New material has been added to Topic 4.3 (ENGAGE) to frame the debate about whether the United States should adopt Universal Basic Income or Guaranteed Employment as national policies.
Building Democracy for All Chapters
Topic 1: The Philosophical Foundations of the United States Political System
Topic 2: The Development of United States Government
Topic 3: Institutions of United States Government
- UNCOVER: Electing LGBTQIA Legislators
- ENGAGE: Should Puerto Rico or the District of Columbia Become the 51st State?
- ENGAGE: Can a Woman Be Elected President of the United States?
- ENGAGE: Should the United States Adopt Instant Runoff/Ranked Choice Voting?
Topic 4: The Rights and Responsibilities of Citizens
- UNCOVER: Poll Taxes, Literacy Tests, and Voter Restriction Laws
- ENGAGE: When Should Someone Be Granted Asylum in the United States?
- ENGAGE: Should the U.S. Adopt Universal Basic Income (UBI) or Guaranteed Employment as National Policies?
- ENGAGE: How Would You Get More People, Especially Young People, to Vote?
Topic 5: The Constitution, Amendments, and Supreme Court Decisions
- ENGAGE: What New Amendments to the Constitution Are Needed Today?
- ENGAGE: When Can Girls and Boys Compete Together in Athletic Events?
- ENGAGE: What Steps Should Communities and Governments Take to Reduce Gun Violence?
Topic 6: The Structure of Massachusetts State and Local Government
- UNCOVER: Gender-Inclusive and Anti-Racist Language and Images in State Constitutions, Laws, and Materials
- ENGAGE: Should the Government Pay Slavery Reparations for Black Americans?
- ENGAGE: How Can Teachers and Students Develop LGBTQIA-Inclusive Curriculum in Schools?
- ENGAGE: What Single-Use Plastic Items Should Local Governments Ban to Help Save the Environment?
- ENGAGE: How Can Society Eliminate Gender Gaps in Wages and Jobs?
- ENGAGE: Should States Expand Lotteries to Raise Money for Communities?
- ENGAGE: Should Communities Declare Themselves Safe or Sanctuary Cities?
Topic 7: Freedom of the Press and News/Media Literacy