LA 3.2 Designing for Understanding in Action
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Understand issues of assessment and accommodation and will use a variety of measurement tools to evaluate English language learners for placement, proficiency and instruction.
Assessment: 25 pts.
TA: 30 Minutes
Teachers can apply the Classroom Observation Tool to their own teaching.
Students have learned about understanding by design, WIDA assessment and CAN DO descriptors, and Standards for Effective Pedagogy linked to WIDA and can use these concepts to evaluate classroom teaching videos.
1. The facilitator will share the “Class Sample Observation Tool Overview”video.
2. As you watch take notes of ideas and practices you can use in your teaching.
3. Using the Sample Classroom Observation tools provided, observe educators (both elementary and secondary) as they engage in and explain their use of equitable practices.These videos are found at these links). Click and download the link above to record your observations.
- Secondary: Here is the link (https://equitypress.org/-uEsL). The teaching practice begins at 1.57 but the initial information is about Content and Language objectives, which might be of interest.
- Elementary: Start at 1.35min.(J. Echevarria explains the SIOP concept at the beginning) here is the link (https://equitypress.org/-rbj).
4. As you watch the video and observe the students and the teacher, use the classroom observation tool to guide your viewing of the lesson and take notes on things you notice about the teaching.
5. Using your notes and what you have learned so far consider these questions with your colleagues.
- How do the activities in the lesson provide actionable information (assessment ideas) about the literacy and language development of the students?
- What actions does the teacher take that enable her in the moment to informally assess student progress in achieving the language and literacy objectives and observe students’ progress in achieving the CAN DO descriptors?
- How can the teacher gather information about complex thinking in the lesson?