Understand issues of assessment and accommodation using an asset-based approach.
Assessment: 25 pts.
TA: 25 Minutes
Teachers can advocate for their English language learners when they focus on asset-and strength-based thinking.
Students have been introduced to the importance of asset-based thinking regarding the diverse students they teach. They will read an article about improving the way we talk about students.
1. Read Changing the conversation and WIDA Can do Philosophy and Guiding Principles of Language Development.
2. Find a partner in the room.
3. Imagine you get onto an elevator with a colleague or boss. You only have from the second to the seventh floor to share with this person your point of view on Changing the Conversation about ELs based on the articles you just read.
4.Be prepared to discuss the following questions with the whole class:
- What conversations about ELs in your school do you find troubling?
- How could you shift the conversation to focus on assests rather than deficits?
- How could the information from the two WIDA documents help you with that?
- What actions steps will you take to shift the conversation about ELs in your school?