LA 1.1 Exploring Our Assessment Practices
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Demonstrate knowledge and use of a variety of on-going, classroom-based assessments adapted to student needs.
Assessment: 25 pts.
TA: 15 Minutes
Teachers can incorporate alternative assessments in their practice with English learners as a means of meeting proficiency levels and interests in assessment.
Students have learned about alternative assessment and will now consider using a portfolio assessment and a content-area assessment.
1. Form small groups of 4-5 students. Working together, create a chart (using chart paper) with five columns labeling them with the following headings (use abbreviations):
- Cognitive Academic Development—includes content knowledge, application of skill in that content, critical thinking
- Social Development—includes relationships, social skills, peer interaction, cooperation and collaboration.
- Affective Development—includes attitudes, anxiety, impulse control, emotional regulation, motivation
- Language and Literacy Development—includes progress in acquiring English, communication skills, reading performance and writing skills
- Physical Motor Development- includes coordination, quality of movement, sensory integration, and agility.
2. Collectively list all the ways you gather evidence of student learning and performance by category. Include formal and informal assessments.
3. Now review the List of Possible Assessment activities and add any that you use to your list.
4. As a whole group, identify which categories you gather evidence of and which you seem to ignore.
5. Discuss why you gather the evidence you do. Discuss whether assessment in each of these categories is needed and when it would be useful.
6. In each category that is appropriate for your teaching context, identify a practice you never or seldom use.
7. Sign your chart.
8. Working individually jot a note to yourself about how you might try that practice out in your teaching.
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality