LA 1.3 Assessing For Placement
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Articulate issues of assessment as they affect learners’ development of English language skills, their access to the Utah core curriculum, andtheir placement in appropriate programs.
Understand how to select and administer norm-referenced language proficiency instruments.
Assessment: 25 pts.
TA: 30 Minutes
Teachers can appropriately understand and use testing for ELs to appropriately place and teach their students.
Students have participated in discussing a power point on assessment responsibilities for assessment and placement of English language learners. They will review different types of assessments and consider theinformation gleaned from them.
- As a whole class you will watch a power point labeled ESSA and EL Assessment (here is the link if you want to watch on your own).
- Use the Topics from the Powerpoint worksheet to take notes on the powerpoint. Turn to page 38 in the Assessing English Language Learners book by Gottlieb. Review the chart and discuss how what is proposed does or does not match the process used in your school.
- Working in pairs, using the Resources from Gottlieb Worksheet to collect information, one pair will Review Resources 1.1 , 1.2 and 1.3 (pp.32-34) and the other pair will review 4, 1.5. 1.6 (pp. 35-37) Note the purpose and use of each resource. Identify what information it provides you about ELs performance.
- Now as a whole group consider the relationship between Resource 1.7 on page 38 and the other Resources you have reviewed.
- Refer to the Hellman chart which provides an overview of potential assessment that could be used in assessing and tracking the language development of ELs in your classroom. Use the following link to access and download the Hellman chart. Highlight the ones you know (collectively).
- Return to the chart on page 38 and make notes about which assessments you could use in the identification and placement process. Note what information the assessment would give and how could you use it to track ELs learning.
- How do your schools attend to the process on pg. 38? How might what you learned here improve that process? How could you educate others in your educational setting about what you learned in this activity?
- Identify an assessment you learned about that you might use with your students. Try it out and use this experience for HW 1.1