LA 5.1 Designing Assessments for Learning
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Demonstrate knowledge and use of a variety of on-going, classroom-based assessments adapted to student needs.
Assessment: 25 pts.
TA: 50 Minutes
Design classroom assignments/assessments differentiated for ELs proficiency levels using Gottlieb’s model for designing authentic classroom-based assessments in content areas
Students have designed a lesson plan connecting WIDA, ELD standards and Utah Core. They will carefully analyze authentic assessment tasks, adequacy, and value in gathering evidence of students learning.
1. Each of you watched one of the studies of alternative assessment on the Assessment VideoEthnography. Meet with others in a group of 4 who watched the same study you did. Use the worksheet you completed as part of homework.
2. Now in this group complete the Alternative Assessment Worksheet for the VideoEthnography you all studied for homework. This link takes you to the form you filled out as part of HW 4.4 (just in case you need it).In this discussion consider the questions you explored in your homework.
3. Return to your four person workgroup and share your findings about the alternative assessment you explored.
4. As other group members share their findings about the assessment they studied, complete the second page of the worksheet together.
5. Now discuss together what you have learned about portfolio assessment and fill in information about it on the Alternative Assessment Worksheet.
6. Use post-its and as a group identify and post at least two new understandings you developed. One about alternative assessment and one about the potential of alternative assessment to support determining what second language learners know and can do.
7. After you post your new ideas, wander the classroom and look at the ideas others posted.