Employ a variety of strategies, materials and resources in standards-based ESL and content instruction.
Assessment: 25 pts.
TA: 30 Minutes
Teachers can adopt strategies from a variety of sources to enable students to build a stronger academic vocabulary as they participate in learning activities.
Students have participated and learned about academic vocabulary and text modification. Now they will read a summary explaining daily structures teachers can use to build English academic vocabulary in their students.
1. As a group, read the article by Kate Kinsella about strategies for building academic vocabulary in reading and writing.
2. Write answers to these questions as you read:
- Why is academic language learning important for teachers to incorporate?
- How can teachers develop academic language when they have students who speak languages other than English?
- What are the elements of a sentence response frame?
- Have you considered using these group response formats in your teaching? How might it help?
- How can increasing interaction at an academic level increase students' language abilities?
- Why are common functions important? Discuss how you have taught language functions previously
3. Together, create a sentence frame that would be appropriate to use in your content area(s). Consider how to make them a part of your regular teaching regimen.