Schoology is an online learning management system (LMS) that allows educators to organize curriculum, create lesson plans, and provide student assessment. The LMS platform allows for peer collaboration and engagement through public or private discussion forums and cross-application
|Price||Free; Enterprise option for districts|
|Learning||Behaviorism, Social constructivism, Connectivism|
|Ease of Use||★★★★☆|
|ISTE*S||Empowered Learner, Global Collaborator|
|COPPA – Kids Privacy Assured by PRIVO: COPPA Safe Harbor Certification; FERPA – Unclear|
Schoology was founded in 2007 by Jeremy Friedman, Ryan Hwang, and Tim Trinidad while they were undergraduates at the University of St. Louis. The LMS focuses on three main components for educational engagement: 1) online curriculum and lesson planning, 2) classroom management through attendance and grading, and 3) parent and student engagement via access portals and discussion forums. With a robust set of features and the inclusion of its own professional learning network, Schoology provides a powerful platform for teachers to both manage their classrooms and connect with other educators around the world.
Schoology Overview Video
*** View Schoology Video Transcript ***
Schoology & the SAMR Model
- Resources and handouts are available online rather than printed out.
- Students upload assignments electronically.
- Students complete quizzes on an the online platform.
- Students have a linear history of all assignments and resources.
- Parents have the ability to see student assignments and track student progress.
- Students converse in discussion groups to analyze assignments.
- Students receive quiz grades immediately and can redo quizzes at home or on their mobile device.
- Students create their own Schoology groups based on their specific interests and moderate their own online communities.
- Schoology Interoperability and App Integration (Schoology)
- Microsoft Office Mix and Schoology (Microsoft)
- Schoology SIS Integration for Enterprise Edition (Schoology)
- Voicethread Accessibility and Universal Design with Schoology (Voicethread)
- Schoology vs Edmodo vs Google Classroom (My E-Learning World)
- Schoology and Google (Youtube Video)
New to Schoology? Learn the Basics for Online Learning (by Schoology)
Ardi, P. (2017). Promoting learner autonomy through Schoology m-learning platform in an EAP class at an Indonesian university. Teaching English with Technology, 17(2), 55-76.
Biswas, S. (2013). Schoology-supported classroom management: A curriculum review. Northwest journal of teacher education, 11(2), 12.
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality