LA 3.3: Office of Civil Rights Role
How Is My School Doing?
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Employ strategies to empower parents/families to participate in their child’s education.
Assessment: 25 pts.
TA: 40 Minutes
Teachers can use what they learn about the Office of Civil Rights after analyzing their school’s performance to better serve students and their families.
Students have learned about the National PTA standards and Title 1 Law. They now look at information from the Office of Civil Rights and determine how their school and district conform to this law.
- Organize into groups whose members are from the same school or feeder schools. Using your reading from homework 2.5 and your notes about them, discuss things you learned, remembered, noticed or what surprised you concerning Federal Law and Policies governing how teachers, schools and districts should respond to comply with legal guidelines and mandates.
- Discuss the following questions about their school or feeder school group:
- What concerns did you uncover from the information read in HW 2.5?
- What are common reasons for schools having families who petition OCR for changes in their children's education?
- Share information from the Analyzing Compliance form you filled out. Identify areas in which your school or district does or does not attend to the issues and identify strategies for improvement.
- The facilitator will circulate to collect ideas to be shared among all groups.
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality