HW 1.2 Investigating Knowledge about Literacy Development
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Employ theories of first and second language acquisition in teaching literacy.
Assessment: 50 pts.
Due: Session 2
Teachers can apply what they learn from the readings as they prepare lessons for L2 learners that are appropriate for these students to acquire English as well as content.
Students have learned about literacy and academic development of second language readers and writers. They will now consider the writing of several scholars to further understand how to support literacy development of L2 learners.
- Read your assigned article: A, B, C, D
A: Wright book (third edition), pp. 196-199—section ‘What We Know from Research about Reading Instruction for English Language Learners’.
- Respond to the following questions. Answers can be in paragraph or bullet form.
- What is the main purpose of the article you read? List the big ideas related to the purpose and the details that support it.
- How do the ideas in this article support your current teaching practices?
- How will you strengthen, adjust or change your ELL literacy practices based on your learning?
- Come prepared to share your responses as an expert in a jigsaw activity in Session 2.
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality