HW 1.4 Using First Language Acquisition in Current Educational Practices
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Acquire and employ knowledge of language as a system and the ways in which languages are different and similar.
Assessment: 50 pts.
Due: Session 2
Teachers can consider their learning from the readings as they plan instruction appropriate for English language learners.
Students have viewed issues of first language literacy development from a video. They have also considered six broad literacy profiles of second language learners. They now analyze readings and collaborate to build a greater understanding of connections between first language literacy development and second language literacy development based on the needs and characteristics of language learners.
- Review both articles on first language acquisiton:
- Answer the following questions. Responses can be in paragraph form or bullet points.
- What first language acquition theories and practices mentioned in the article summaries do you already use in your professional education practices?
- What ideas from these articles are you not using, but would find beneficial in your practice?
- Based on the article you read from HW 1.2, what are the differences between first and second language aquisition? (This will be discussed more in Session 2.)