LA 2.2 Connecting Cross-Linguistic Transfer and Literacy
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Employ theories of acquisition of a primary and new language in instruction.
TA: 30 Minutes
Teachers can use these under- standings from the reading and discussion to improve their instruction for L2 learners they teach.
Students discussed issues of first and second language development. They now reflect on second language literacy models, theories and brain research including the concept of cross-linguistic transference.
- Divide into heterogenous groups of three, mixing elementary and secondary educational professionals. Each student in the group should read one of the articles and report back to the group on the content. Some of these concepts just need to be reviewed, some are new. Pay special attention to the concept of cross-linguistic transference.
- As students discuss the issues they studied, they will create a Venn Diagram to show the way elementary and secondary educational professionals can better support each other in strengthening the literacy development of their first and second language learners.
- What are ways do you support each other now?
- How can this process be improved?
- What should the role of principals, coaches, counselors, and teachers be in strengthen the literacy development of their students?