LA 5.2: Center 1: (Teacher Center) Utilizing the Literacy Guidelines for ELs
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Employ theories of first and second language acquisition in teaching literacy
Employ theories of first and second language acquisition in teaching content area subjects
Assessment: 25 pts.
TA: 25 Minutes
Teachers can use the Literacy Guidelines for ELs to improve the design and implementation of instruction that promotes ELs literacy development as they deepen their knowledge of content.
Students have learned about defining content and language objectives, supporting the development of academic language, Literacy guidelines for ELs, and developing literacy focused classrooms. They are now ready to deepen their understanding about supporting their students reading skills.
- Using HW 4.6, review with your colleagues your ideas concerning each of the guidelines: Build Literacy, Expand Literacy, and Create Literacy. Remember to record any findings on the Session 5 Key Ideas worksheet for the following discussion.
- Have students share ideas about how you are using them in your unit plan. (think of specific things, or general overarching ideas you are using).
- Discuss how these guidelines can help you think about developing the comprehension skills of your students?
- Consider each principle within the guidelines in relationship to your Unit Plan.
- Identify the ways your plan can or will integrate the literacy guidelines with the using Standards for Effective Pedagogy.
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality