LA 7.5 Center 5: Attending to Equity through the Standards for Effective Pedagogy
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Demonstrate knowledge and skills to construct learning environments that support development of English language proficiency: literacy, academic, and cognitive development. (footnote language and definition)
Assessment: 25 pts.
TA: 20 Minutes
Teachers can gather to critique and respond to their Unit Plan and Lessons. They can use the critique to improve these lessons specifically and their teaching practice more generally.
Students have learned how to recognize, honor, and draw on prior knowledge and cultural experiences in their teaching. They have learned how to identify where students are in learning language and developing literacy. They know how to design lessons and assessments that elicit student knowledge and promote learning.
- In this center, you will review the unit plans through a discussion on equity and some of the Standards for Effective Pedagogy (JPA, CTX, CA). Use the Equity in Literacy Development worksheet and consider the following questions to guide your discussion.
- How did you respond to the 2 articles? What did you decide to include in your responses and answer the 2 questions at the bottom of the worksheet?
- How do you define equity?
- How have you seen your colleagues create and promote equity in the professional practices?
- How can you create classroom practices using JPA, CTX, and CA effectively to promote equity?
- Use the JPA, CTX, and CA rows of the notes table to record ideas you want to include in your Explanatory Document.
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality