LA 3.2 Programs and Practices in My Local Setting
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Know, understand, and use the major concepts, theories, and research related to the nature and acquisition of language andlinguistic systems to support English language leaners’ development of literacy.
Assessment: 25 pts.
TA: 30 Minutes
Teachers will become aware of the programs and practices currently serving students in their local settingsand use this information to advocate for their students.
Having a better understanding of the general programs and practices existing to serve ELLs, teachers will now strive to identify the specific programs and practices serving students in their local school settings.
- Where possible, work in pairs or small groups of teachers from the same schools and/or districts.
- For 15 minutes, discuss the current programs and practices in your schools. Use the questions below to guide your discussion, and take notes as you discuss.
- What model(s) of instruction for English Language Learners exist in your local school setting?
- Who has made or currently makes the decisions on which programs are implemented?
- To the best of your understanding, what factors have contributed to the selection of programs in your local school setting?
- What outcomes have you observed with the students with whom you work as a result of their participation in these programs?
- In an ideal situation, what programs would you like to see implemented in your school and/or district setting? What factors might enable or inhibit the implementation of your ideal?
- With the support of the facilitator, organize class participants into mixed groups from differing school and/or district settings. Compare and contrast what is happening and what you would ideally like to see happen in your own setting.
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality