LA 4.5 Input and Vocabulary Development
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Identify and analyze the role of input and inter-action patterns to promote language development.Develop instructional alternatives to build second language learners’ compe-tence and performance in a variety of contexts.
Assessment: 25 pts.
TA: 20 Minutes
Teachers can help students to increase vocabulary knowledge, especially in collaboration with other teachers. They will share ideas and strategies with one another, especially in content areas.
Students have learned about input by reading, teaching eachother, and viewing video segments. They are prepared to discuss their understanding of some strategies for improving input and consider applications of those strategies.
- As a group, review your VS 5.1 Response Sheet for content on student work and teacher work relating to vocabulary development.
- Read the Vocabulary Fact sheet.
- Review and discuss the SPC-T levels for Standard 2, Language and Literacy Development.
- Examine and discuss the student work and teacher work columns on the Input row of the Second Language Acquisition Chart.
- Discuss connections between what you know about the principle of input and vocabulary development. How does vocabulary development relate to applications you have already recorded on the Input Summary worksheet?
- Record two applications for vocabulary learning on the worksheet.
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality