LA 6.4 Error Analysis of Student Writing
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Identify and analyze linguistic patterns of development in student work to promote second language development.
Assessment: 25 pts.
TA: 30 Minutes
Teachers can learn a system for analyzing student writing and apply it in their work with second language learners in their classrooms.
Students will soon be asked to provide a sophisticated analysis of their student’s writing. They need direction in developing that analysis. They will now learn the points they need to analyze to prepare to work with a student who is an English learner.
- Look at the Pattern concept on the Second Language Acquisition tool chart. Read through the Teacher Workand Student Workfor this concept.
- The facilitator will model how to use the Language Systems Inventory and WIDA Can-Do Descriptors formsenlisting the help of class members as they work through it.
- Answer the following questions about yourstudent’swriting:(on the back of the language systems inventory sheet):
- What rules or structures does the student seem to currently have control of?
- On what rules or structures does the student seem to be currently working?
- On the basis of this work sample, at what stage is the student: beginning, intermediate or advanced?
- What should the student focus on next to support his/her language development?