LA 1.4: Accents and Dialects - What Do You Hear?
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Acquire and employ knowledge of language as a system and the ways in which languages are different and similar.
Assessment: 25 pts.
TA: 15 Minutes
Teachers will increase in their awareness language and identity.
Students have been asked to make evident their assumptions about speakers of non-standard dialects. They are now prepared to further discuss the role of dialects and identity.
- Watch and listen as the facilitator shares the YouTube Video, “How do you pronounce water?” https://equitypress.org/-Kay
- As you watch the video, think about your own language use
- What does this video teach you about teaching students who come from different language backgrounds?
- Then at your table, use a laptop/ipad to watch the course video (Link: https://equitypress.org/-HbB) about the role of language in developing community.
- Click on session 1, My Speech Community.
- Scroll down to the topic Speech Community and click on it.
- Scroll up so you can see the video and hit play.
- Use the Active Viewing guide as you listen and write notes about the thinking the experts provoke for you.
- Be prepared to contribute to the class discussion on the topic by answering the following question:
- “In what ways might my accent and dialect influence my ability and that of my students to learn and participate in school?”