LA 2.1: Cummins Review and Discuss
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Acquire and employ knowledge of language as a system and the ways in which languages are different and similar.
Assessment: 25 pts.
TA: 25 Minutes
Teachers will understand the significance of relationships in instruction of ELLs (and all students) and apply it in their daily practice with students.
Students have read the article and studied the charts on Coercive and Collaborative Relations. They will now discuss with others in the class the issues presented.
- On a piece of paper, write a list of your own classroom rules.
- Review the 2 charts from your homework from session 1 “Everyday Ethical Decisions”.Click here to return to HW 1.3.
- Together create a generic list of classroom rules.
- Now, looking at the charts you constructed and considering the classroom rules you created together, identify ways in which your rules could possibly create the negative classroom climate for ELs that Cummins identified.
- Make a list of suggestions to teachers about actions they could take concerning classroom rules, parent teacher conferences, and classroom participation that they could use to create a classroom climate that would promote student success.
- Post your rules around the room.
- Walk around and observe the rules of other groups. Jot down what ways you can improve your classroom climate on your classroom rules list, based on what you learned through this activity.